The Department for Communities and Local Government has published a raft of proposals to reform the suite of Approved Documents which accompany the Building Regulations. These proposals include changes to the guidance on disability access statements.
The recently published consultation papers set out the detailed proposals on Parts A, B, C, K, L, M, N, and P. These changes include:
- Replacing the currently-referenced standards in Part A (Structure) with the new British Standards based on Eurocodes
- Aligning the existing guidance in Approved Document C (Site preparation and resistance to contaminants and moisture) with the most up-to-date radon maps to ensure the safety provisions are targeted appropriately
- Clarifying the guidance on Access Statements in Approved Document M (Access to and use of buildings). This sets out the need to agree an access strategy for proposed building work which ensures reasonable provision by focusing on key risks and issues.
- Rationalising the guidance supporting Parts M, K and N (Access, Protection from falling, collision and impact and Glazing respectively) to remove unnecessary costs on business
- Making changes to the technical guidance in Approved Document B (Fire safety) to resolve practical problems in the application of Requirement B2 (Internal fire spread).
- Part P (Electrical safety - dwellings), making a greater proportion of electrical installation jobs non-notifiable
- Part L (Conservation of fuel and power)
Also published is a draft version of a new Approved Document K (Protection from falling, collision and impact). Not only does this reflect the proposed changes resulting from the rationalisation of Parts K, M and N, it also seeks views on the proposed "new style" of Approved Documents.
Full details can be found at: http://www.communities.gov.uk/planningandbuilding/
Santia Consulting Limited aims to be your partner of choice for health, safety & environmental risk management consultancy. We believe that our business is built on developing and maintaining valued relationships with you, our customers. We do this based on the belief that we deliver best in class solutions for all your risk management needs. Further details can be found at www.santia.co.uk.